Mission description

This is a blog about travel, adventure, charity, and bikes. It's the story of my trip from San Francisco to wherever the road ends.
My goals are:
(1) Get as far as I can south - cycling, hitching, or whatever - before my time and money run out.
(2) Try to understand social inequality in the areas I travel through, and to do what I can to help.
My tools are my trusty bike, Magnum, my thumb, this blog, and the following websites, for which I am an ambassador:
You can follow the adventure right here, and you can see how it all started, and what it's all about, using the tabs above. If you want to be notified of new posts, you can subscribe using the links down on the right, or by liking the Wheels of Fortune Facebook page.

Wednesday 16 April 2014

Epilogue: So long and thanks for all the clicks

At the risk of the ridiculous, I thought I would bookend my now not-so-recent adventure by finishing this blog. If I had a therapist, he or she would have encouraged me to do this.

Like many things I have found difficult to finish, it didn't dawn on me until writing that last entry, exactly why I have had so much trouble making myself sit down and write it. It's obvious, of course: it's simply hard to acknowledge that something so singular is over. However, as I look at the dates of that last entry, I realise it relates to almost this time last year. I have been back for the better part of a year, and I have been living in the same place for over three months now - the longest I have been in the one place for over two years. It's a good time to draw a line under this particular chapter.

Just another beach in Mexico
Thank you to everyone I met along the way, and particularly to those who helped me. There were so many people who did so, in ways big and small, and I can never be grateful enough for this. Your help, hospitality, and kindness was moving, and I will not soon forget it.

To the truck drivers of Mexico: thank you for not running me over, and in fact for making way for me on many occasions. To the bus drivers of Mexico: I'm pretty sure you were all trying to kill me, so ha ha, you missed.

Thank you for reading this blog. Thank you for coming with me on the adventure. There were times when writing this blog made me feel connected, and in doing so, enormously comforted. I hope you found the blog interesting or entertaining in some way. If you have any thoughts or comments, I'd love to hear about them. If you have something similar in mind, I'd be happy to share experiences, and answer questions.

The previous entry was the end of the bike trip proper, the end of Wheels of Fortune, so I felt it appropriate to end the blog there. After leaving the bike in Guadalajara, I spent a few weeks blowing around with the winds, from the dusty plains in the desert of the central plateau, to the sand on the beaches that border the wild Pacific. From a beach in Oaxaca, it was then as if I was plucked from my reverie, and thrown back to reality, via a series of flights, to D.F., L.A., and then back home to the AU of S.

Once upon a time in Mexico
I had originally planned on writing a few more entries, based on these post-cycling meanderings in Mexico, and on some aspects of the ride that didn't fit neatly into particular dates. However, on current form, I'll get that done by around 2050. We'll all be commuting to work with jetpacks by then, and my blog will be comparatively less interesting.

So don't hold your breath, is what I'm saying. For now I'll leave you with what is as close as I have to a before and after in photographic form. All that's left then, is to say thank you once again, and so long!

From way back at the beginning.
After about 5 months, towards the end of the trip, and the last photo I have with Blue Steel.

No comments:

Post a Comment