Mission description

This is a blog about travel, adventure, charity, and bikes. It's the story of my trip from San Francisco to wherever the road ends.
My goals are:
(1) Get as far as I can south - cycling, hitching, or whatever - before my time and money run out.
(2) Try to understand social inequality in the areas I travel through, and to do what I can to help.
My tools are my trusty bike, Magnum, my thumb, this blog, and the following websites, for which I am an ambassador:
You can follow the adventure right here, and you can see how it all started, and what it's all about, using the tabs above. If you want to be notified of new posts, you can subscribe using the links down on the right, or by liking the Wheels of Fortune Facebook page.

Saturday 16 February 2013

3 weeks in Ensenada

So the plan was to only be in Ensenada for a few days, as I didn't know anybody there, and I'd been told there weren't that many charities working there. Then a few things happened to change that plan. The first was my wonderful couchsurfing host, Elsa.
Elsa marshmallow. She may say she's badass, like Stagger Lee, but it's hard to miss the halo.
When I arrived at Elsa's place, she welcomed me wearing a shirt from an old Nick Cave tour. I couldn't believe she was wearing a shirt from one of my favourite Australian musicians! We joked over a glass of wine that she may be the only Nick cave fan in Ensenada. Then Carmie arrived (yes, I beat her, even though she took the bus) and Elsa took us out for drinks on the town with friends. We hardly had time to have a hangover the next day before we took a road trip to the wine country in the Valle de Guadelupe, and finished up at perhaps Ensenada's biggest attraction, La Bufadora, a rock formation which draws crowds to see waves channeled through a rock cleft and shot up 30m into the air. Elsa had inducted us into the world of Sunday Funday.
Boof!
After getting some sleep and then poking around Ensenada the next day for charitable organisations that might be interested in Angel Mule or Open Volunteer, I was pleasantly surprised to find there were much more around than I had been previously told. I had only made a few inquiries and already I had a list of names and organisations to talk to. I knew I had a lot to learn about humanitarian work, and I figured spending a little extra time in one place would be a good idea at some point, just to talk to people and listen to how things work, and what they need, etc. Ensenada was looking like it might be a good place to do just this. Reason number two to stick around for a while.

The family.
Then I met 'the family' - Rodger, Tete, and their little baby Ananda, through Elsa. They are all interesting, intelligent, and fun, and made me feel like I had a family away from home. Reason number 3 had arrived, and it was more than enough. Nobody seemed to mind me sticking around, so I did! Carmen had to split, to get through more of Mexico before heading to Cuba, while I spent the next 2 and a bit weeks visiting organisations during the day, being shown around the cool parts of Ensenada by Elsa when she had time off work, and hanging out with the family. 
The first and most important thing I learned in talking to orgs, was simply to listen, and not to assume they need something, let alone what I could offer. Many have been doing what they do for a long time, and did not need a great deal of help, except perhaps for some financial support to pay the bills, and day to day things like food. Some are so used to just doing their own thing that they seemed surprised that I wanted to help, and that I asked if there were things they needed that I could help with.
Delivering clothes, care of Tete, to the Albergue.
I talked to a range of organisations, from old people's homes, to children's homes and orphanages, to medical services, and government run welfare groups. People do some pretty inspiring things. I was left wishing I could do more then just offer to put them on mylist, or tell them about Angel Mule. So in lieu of actually volunteering, I got some clothes from friends to donate to the Albergue San Vicente, and then Tete was kind enough to give me some day old bread from her bakery to give to the old people's home.

Delivering delicious baked goods to the old folks home.
Meanwhilst, not only did Elsa put up with me for three weeks, she also took me around and showed me some of her favourite places in Ensenada. Secluded beaches, tasty tacos, great bars, I saw it all! What an amazing host, I thought, at about the same time as I began to wonder if she was really Mexican at all... she has spent 8 of the last 9 years outside of Mexico, drinks Guinness or Coors light, loves rock and indie music, lives alone and hosts couchsurfers. Hm. I think she might like Mexico and her home town more then she lets on, but even so, she is at heart a citizen of the world. Which would explain why she's currently working two jobs so she can have the freedom to travel and explore again soon. Go Elsa!

Mexicana? I see that beer Elsa.
Puerto Escondido
Beauty in Ensenada
Sunset near the 'sleeping dragon'.
I also couldn't be more grateful for the generosity and hospitality that Rodger and Tete showed me while I was in Ensenada. They really made me feel like family. I laughed with Tete, and chatted lots to Rodger. Not only did Rodger pick up my camera from San Diego, which was being repaired there, and bring it back over the border, but he also showed me what good tequila was really about - sipping and enjoyment, rather than the shots, burning, mayhem, vomiting, and hangovers to which I was more accustomed.

After 3 weeks, I knew that if I stayed any longer I knew I'd soon have found myself a job and a volunteer spot, and I would have been all too happy to stay. Sadly, I had to leave at some point, and when I finally did, it was hard. Carnival was in town in the days before I left, so a few giant beers there, and an air of celebration helped ease the pain of leaving. I'm going to miss you guys! Plus I was pretty disappointed to miss the Hogaza Hogaza's erotic bakery night for Valentine's day.

Giant beers with Adam and Elsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment