Mission description

This is a blog about travel, adventure, charity, and bikes. It's the story of my trip from San Francisco to wherever the road ends.
My goals are:
(1) Get as far as I can south - cycling, hitching, or whatever - before my time and money run out.
(2) Try to understand social inequality in the areas I travel through, and to do what I can to help.
My tools are my trusty bike, Magnum, my thumb, this blog, and the following websites, for which I am an ambassador:
You can follow the adventure right here, and you can see how it all started, and what it's all about, using the tabs above. If you want to be notified of new posts, you can subscribe using the links down on the right, or by liking the Wheels of Fortune Facebook page.

Friday 8 February 2013

US Prologue - Blue Steel Rides!

The big moment had arrived - it was time to hit the road. Before I left, one more formality needed to be observed. Given that my closest companion for the next few weeks to months was to be my bike, I felt that I should at least name it, even if it wasn't going to talk back to me.

Blue Steel, or Derek for short.
For those unfamiliar with the creativity with which Australians name things, one need look no further than the mountain range in our great southern land which looks a little blue from a distance. It's called the Blue Mountains. I suppose the presence of the nearby Rocky Mountains means it's not just an Aussie thing. In any case, I dubbed my blue, steel frame mountain bike Blue Steel in this tradition, whilst, of course, referencing perhaps Ben Stiller's only useful contribution to cinema.

The road and a lot of zeros.

With formalities observed, it was time for the rubber to hit the road. I was a little excited to see all those zeros on my odometer, and that road in front of me. After never having ridden a bike more than the 10 or 20km to and from work at home in Australia, I started what was to be an over 1000km trip from San Francisco to San Diego on December 20th 2012. In what was perhaps a sign of inexperience, I started riding north.




2 comments:

  1. Oh Hugh, you are too funny! I also have a 180-degree-in-the-wrong-direction-problem, unfortunately, mine seems to be permanent. I just saw a post for your blog on FB and started at the very beginning. This is a totally amazing thing you're doing, I'll be trying to catch up and following every turn of the wheel with much anticipation, and will show Morgs too - he'll be really interested. Stay safe! Marcie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marce! What do you mean yours seems to be permanent? Are you going in circles?? Yeah please let that facebook-avoiding man of yours know.

    ReplyDelete