Mission description

This is a blog about travel, adventure, charity, and bikes. It's the story of my trip from San Francisco to wherever the road ends.
My goals are:
(1) Get as far as I can south - cycling, hitching, or whatever - before my time and money run out.
(2) Try to understand social inequality in the areas I travel through, and to do what I can to help.
My tools are my trusty bike, Magnum, my thumb, this blog, and the following websites, for which I am an ambassador:
You can follow the adventure right here, and you can see how it all started, and what it's all about, using the tabs above. If you want to be notified of new posts, you can subscribe using the links down on the right, or by liking the Wheels of Fortune Facebook page.

Monday 11 February 2013

Time to decide, dream and ride

After a what was for me a pretty long ride, I enjoyed taking some time to rest in San Diego. I had the pleasure of being in the fantastic company of my friends Jonny, who I stayed with in San Diego, and Carmen, who was there visiting from Oz. The decision I was supposed to make in San Diego was already made - I had to keep going, at least into Mexico. What I didn't know was how I was going to do it, and where exactly I was going to go.
Carmen and I
Carmen and Jonny
Although the ride through California had been amazing, I knew the real prize lay ahead of me. If the preceding year of adventure had been a long-held dream during my time in Australia, then riding my bike through latin america building a volunteer resource was the dream of my dream. That's right, we're talking Inception level stuff here. So I couldn't go back to Australia. Not yet. The problem was, I had only planned on being overseas for 3 or maybe 6 months, and definitely no more than a year. So I had almost no money left, and I felt like I was on borrowed time. I had no real plan, and no fixed destination. What's not to like?

At least having sh*t all money makes preparations easier. I couldn't really afford to buy anything, or do anything but some basic maintenance on my bike, and have a few drinks with Carmen, Jonny, and Jonny's friends before I set off. I decided I would set Quetzaltenango, Guatemala as my initial target, because I figured I could probably make it that far. Probably. I also knew a couple of worthy charities there, in Quetzaltrekkers and Primeros Pasos, and I thought it would be cool if I could mule some supplies their way (you can find them, and what they need, on AngelMule). So I picked up some supplies for them (shh! don't tell them, I want it to be a surprise), and managed to stretch my budget to buying a foam sleeping mat, because of problems I'd been having with my inflatable one.

Almost all the way from San Francisco I had fantasised about dumping some unnecessary gear, and I did this in San Diego. So even with the new mat, Derek/Blue Steel was looking slimmer and sleeker than ever. I had also fantasised about some cycling luxuries, like a nice Brooks saddle, and some proper cycling shoes, but had to shelve these ideas for budgetary reasons. So although minimally changed, apart from losing a little weight - or perhaps exactly because of this - I realised my bike needed to be renamed, and I realised I knew the name... Magnum was born!

Magnum!
AngelMule provided me with a destination, and something to do along the way - I would be an ambassador for this great idea, telling people and organisations about it as I travelled. I would also make my volunteer wiki, which was the original inspiration for a project during my ride. I would gather information about places to do, in particular, free volunteering, medical or otherwise. I had heard Baja California was beautiful, so that seemed like as good a place as any to start, and then I'd work the rest out later.

All of a sudden, I had everything I needed: a destination, a route, enough gear to get by, and something worthy to do. Low on gas, with a fistful of dollars, and not much more, I let myself roll out the door, on Magnum, and the wheels of fortune.


No comments:

Post a Comment